I have one month to learn a new skill, or skills, during winter break. Therefore, I would like to take a survey to see what skills would most benefit someone graduating in May.
My career goal is to work as a multimedia reporter.
I have some degree of proficiency in each of the following (in no particular order):
- Writing and reporting
- Media law and ethics
- AP style
- Video content gathering and editing
- Audio content gathering and editing
- Photography and photo editing
- Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign
- Social media
- Content and community management
- SEO (more than basic)
- Flash (I currently know enough to make this portfolio site)
- Spanish (studied for seven years)
Here are some ideas for what I could learn:
- ActionScript 3
- Database reporting, a.k.a computer-assisted reporting (map mashups, mySQL, etc.)
- PHP (because I work with WordPress and Ning a lot)
- Search engine optimization (more in-depth)
What do you think?
Or should I simply work on improving some of the skills I already have? I’m taking a video class in the spring to further refine those skills, so I probably won’t focus on video during break.
If there’s another skill you think would be valuable, please let me know. I will probably focus on one, maybe two depending on the intensity of the primary skill.
A couple of my visual journalism professors have recommended learning XML and more Flash, specifically focusing on AS3.
Personally, I’m learning towards database and CAR stuff.
I would greatly appreciate any suggestions in comments below, with a brief explanation of why.
Update, Dec. 22: Apparently one of my plugins broke the comment feature, so no one has been able to respond so far. Fortunately, Twitter came to the rescue!
Almost all of the recommendations have been for learning more about databases and CAR, as well as SEO.